Secretary, with Maggie Gyllenhaal and James Spader. First of all, I'd like to note that the tagline for this movie is fun: "Assume the position." At the same time I'd like to note, however, that while that inobstrusively clever line might make the film sound a bit like a comedy, it's really more a straight-up romance. A...kind of strange, ever so vaguely American Beauty kind of romance, anyway. I feel kind of hobbled in discussing it like I'd like to; in any case, I'm going to guess that most people would probably be too disturbed by the idea of bondage to get past being uncomfortable, but if you don't have an issue or can get past it, this is an oddly warming and quietly understated romance with great cinematography.

Later addendum: I thought it interesting that there was a posit in the story that basically defined the one character's submission to the other that basically paraphrased, if not quoted something out of a meditation book I was reading, just with a difference in who the sentence was referring to as subject. If anyone happens to see that movie, I'd like to talk about the part where she walks home alone for the first time, in that regard.

Random Quote of the Day: "Adults are always asking kids what they want to be when they grow up because they are looking for ideas."

also, new photomagraphy

No comments: