I think The Boondock Saints is a great movie for a variety of reasons. In watching it last night, I was reminded of one of them - that is, the ethical issue of the vigilante nature of the Saints in question. It's never really approached directly in the movie till the fake-real man-on-the-street interviews in the ending credits, and even then not with any depth but with impassioned response or actual shying away. I think that's a great decision, in that not only does the audience have the entire film to debate the issue to themselves without judgement or commentary from the narrative, but those interview responses also probably mimic the most common responses on the part of the audience after the end, which is an interesting reflecting idea.

So here's my two cents as to the questionable morality of the Saints' acting as judge, jury and executioner based solely on their own judgment. I'll refer back to what I talked about a little while ago, I think, Krishna's conversation with Arjuna in the Bhagavad Gita. Without attempting to encapsulate that at all, I'll come back to the film and make the argument that the narrative is not so simple as to just condone violence - rather, I'd say the deeper meaning is that what is to really be condoned is right action, in the Buddhist sense, however ironic that seems (perhaps a better word might be dharmic action?).

That is, the Saints are presented as inherently good men - even characters who hardly know them at all immediately recognize that. They have aspects of being enlightened - for example (in a within-narrative-structure way) they are obviously capable of living beyond their current means (re: their skill with languages) but are quite conent with the humble living space and job (even their working in a meat packing plant is similar to the story of the butcher who turns out to be a famous sage). In light of these qualities (and others I'm omitting at the moment), it becomes apparent that the saints are quite self-aware and furthermore (from their point of "enlightenment," as it were) are clearly acting from an intention to embrace what is reality is presenting to them to choose to do. In acting from their hearts (or from a deeper, intuitive level, however one wants to put it), they are making their decisions in a similar way to Arjuna on the eve of a battle in which he knew he would have to kill friends and family.

So yes, it's violent; and the morality of it is very much questionable. But all the same, one can argue that the Saints are good men acting from a deep place to do the right thing. And that doesn't make it right - but it makes it as right as something like that can be, in my mind.

-and a nice line from the movie (I'd put down the final declaration before the big bang at the end, but that's the climax and all that):
"When I raise my flashing sword, and my hand takes hold on judgment, I will take vengeance upon mine enemies, and I will repay those who haze me. Oh, Lord, raise me to Thy right hand and count me among Thy saints."

I'm not sure whether it's clever or dumb - a running discourse on penultimate panels

Though I haven't listened to the classical station in a while, an interesting guide

No comments: