Dragons of a Vanished Moon, by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. Ok, last Dragonlance book for a while, methinks. This conclusion to the War of Souls trilogy is the most polished of the three, I think, and certainly the fastest pace and most compelling. To achieve that pace in a story of this size, however, I wouldn't say character development suffered, but there certainly wasn't a great deal of it. But that's ok. I would have loved to have seen even more of the already-interesting-setting-turned-dark, but same deal. Another thing that didn't quite bother me was that as much as this concluded the narrative of the trilogy, the narrative of the characters and setting seems to practically be just beginning all over again just as the novel ends. Of course, as I type this, I realize the authors adroitly pulled a Dune with the ending-that's-not, and in that light their writing just got up'ed in my mind.

For those long-distance calls to little red people (obscure Kim Stanley Robinson reference? Anyone out there get that...?)

Yet another great column by Lore Sjöberg

No comments: