Today is apparently being called "Day Without A Mexican Day" in the warehouse, on account of the big ol' march going on downtown in regards to immigration issues. I'll be the first to admit that I know next to nothing about said issues, begging the excuses of excess work (pfft, as if a quadruple bypass should keep anyone away from their job that I'm filling in for) and just not watching the news to avoid being depressed by its unrelenting negativity.

Anyway, maybe I'm just noticing this more markedly because the protest in question is so close to home, as it were, but I can't help but feel that there's an excess of blindly following demagogues (even a high school kid demagogue - yay new heights...or is that lows?) going on today. On both sides, even, with some idiots planning to burn a Mexican flag. I'd be a lot more impressed (and interested) if I had seen a single moment or reference to it all that wasn't already drowning in defiant, close-ear'ed mulishness. But I haven't. I just hope the demagogues don't get anyone hurt.

Just because I haven't read any Russell since studying for philosophy on Suntran back and forth across Tucson -
"Conventional people are roused to fury by departure from convention, largely because they regard such departure as a criticism of themselves." - Bertrand Russell

No comments: