Acacia, with Shim Hye-jin and Kim Jin-geun. Well, Ms. Kim got me to watch the first scary movie I've watched in a long ol' time. I don't really do well with scary stuff, as much I really do love it - it completely messes with me and fascinates me at the same time. Anyway, I don't think most devotees of Western horror or slasher flicks would enjoy this too much, but if you're interested in well-layered imagery and understated, quality cinematography, that pretty much sums the movie up. That said, there's a strong beginning, which continues for most of the movie, only stumbling near the end, which wasn't disappointing, but...I think, since most of the scares in the movie were interestingly based in the imagery/created-symbols involved, that the explanation at the end stopped that pattern was something I'd rather they'd done differently; still okay, though. Ah, perhaps it was more that it couldn't decide on whether to maintain the supernatural? But there's a certain element of debate ready to be had as the quality of supernatural throughout the whole thing. Call this movie a thriller with a touch of the supernatural, then. Who'd have ever thought a bloody tree could be so creepy, though?

interesting, kind of poetic thought:
"It might seem strange to us that the yogis place the seat of wisdom in the heart [symbolized by sun], which we typically associate with our emotions, and not the brain. But in yoga, the brain is actually symbolized by the moon, which reflects the sun's light but generates none of its own."

No comments: