Yes, I realize it's completely out of context and random - but I thought it was interesting, so there!
"The traditional and main naval strategy employed by the Japanese was that of "grapple-and-board", whereby sailors would attempt to board an enemy ship and fall to sword fighting on the decks. This method was mainly used because Japanese soldiers excelled at hand to hand combat. The Japanese Navy's concept of sea battle was therefore one of a fight between crews rather than the vessels themselves. This was the most common naval strategy in the world during this time, and was as common among the Europeans of the day. The Korean Navy, however, utilizing superior warships and firepower to burn and sink the enemy vessels, thus engaged in a more modern type of naval warfare. During Hideyoshi's invasions of Korea, Japan's transport ships were largely destroyed by Admiral Yi-Sun-Shin's leadership with superior firepower and knowledge of strategic points on the home field."
I mean, actually, all of these are pretty interesting - naval battles of the Seven-Year War, I mean

Woo! New Dan Abnett novel approaching.

Random, Out of Context Line of the Day:
"I...I know I'm not a man...do you think you could you bury what's left
of me in the Earth--like a man?"

No comments: