Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan, with Sacha Baron Cohen and Ken Davitian. Also known as, two men I really, really didn't need to see naked. I'm kind of torn; on one level, this was just plain stupid. But on another level, it's horribly clever. I'll admit I was laughing the entire time, along with our little corner of the theatre with us being loud-ass laughers (people were looking at us), but I was also kind of uncomfortable, but that's probably a good thing in the end in this context. What context, you ask? The social commentary, which made Cohen's character just funny, and the real people just plain disturbing at times.

The Way of the Peaceful Warrior, by Dan Millman. Again, kind of torn. Reading this was like reading all the yoga articles I've read over the past year, condensed and simplified, and pasted together with a thin veneer of 'warrior' mysticism and fiction. So in that sense I kind of blinked, as what was a paragraph in this book had been a long article in a different context for me. Now, that said, this book would be great for anyone who didn't want to go through and read all those articles and just wanted the condensed or lite version, and as such I would recommend it strongly, as hell, the only reason I read all those articles and actually paid attention was not so much out of mad discipline or enlightenment, but because I was depressed and desperate.

No comments: