This may possibly me just talking out of my ass. So, really not that different than SOP. I think it would be interesting to see herbs and folk remedies tried out in hospitals. For example, take garlic - it's been cultivated and used as a panacea since before anyone knows when, and they've proven at least some of the claims of its benefits, mainly for its affects on heart health and the immune system. So it would be nice stroll into the cardiac floor at the hospital to see 'garlic' prescribed along with the synthetic whatchahoosits I remember bewildering the poor patients. Or, say, ginger for an upset stomach, instead of pumping them with more chemicals. Or triphala instead of harsh milk of magnesia? Winter cherry to offset withdrawals?

I mean obviously trials and testing and whatnot would be needed, but it would I think be helpful in patient relations if nothing else to hear some familiar, simple food terms along with chemical and medical jargon. Yes, I'm sure some of those things are just psychosomatic, but hey, on the other hand some have been used for centuries for their claimed uses, I think those would at least bear testing for effect.

Interesting image: "A cephalophore is a saint who is generally depicted carrying his head in his hands."

No comments: