(corollary to Ms Connie's post) The Prestige, with Hugh Jackman, Christian Bale (otherwise known as the aweso), and Scarlett Johansson's booblies (like whoa). And Piper Perabo, who's cute! And Michael Caine, bwaaaa! And...and...David Bowie was Tesla? David Bowie was Tesla?! That blows my mind. And what was with the varied accents?

Anyway. We enjoyed this movie, especially as it wasn't The Illusionist like we'd previously tricked ourselves into seeing. Of course, in my usual willing-gullible-ness, I enjoyed being pulled through the twists like a white-water, Ms Kim enjoyed it as a puzzle to figure out (figuring most everything out way in advance, as usual), and Ms Abby was kind of in the middle, unconsciously figuring things out. Anyway, yay for complex semantic structures and tightly fitted narratives! That to me makes the 'true' magic of the machine forgivable, as a major theme of the movie is exactly that question of what is really true, anyway? And beyond that, I was always devoted to White Wolf's Mage setting which had the 'nature of truth/reality' trope as its very foundation, and this made me nostalgic for that. So, maybe some of the things were disappointing or obvious, but I thought that since they basically acknowledged that right away ("it's not the secret, but what the secret is used for that's important" or some paraphrasing) I was freed to enjoy the characters and narrative more.

Best Headline Ever: Robot Identifies Human Flesh As Bacon

No comments: