commentary and curiosity

"Sport-fighting guys come across as bullies, self-defense guys sound like military absolutists and traditional martial artists seem like stubborn, irrational Orientophiles." - That's...well...surprisingly accurate, I think, if a bit exaggerated. Not by much, though. And it sums up really what martial artists turn into, I think, when confronted by the existence of a martial artist from a different, ah, 'faction.' I've drifted between sport and traditional over the years I think, more recently leaning towards sport, in the end, despite doing more traditional stuff lately - my mindset is definitely on 'sport,' regardless.

"Anybody can breathe; therefore, anybody can practice yoga. But no one can practice every kind of yoga. It has to be the right yoga for the person."

I like this description of something I'd been rather suspicious of before, or at least it helps in discerning whether to be suspicious -
"A guru is not one who has a following. A guru is one who can show me the way. Suppose I’m in the forest and somehow I’ve lost my way. Then I’ll ask a person, 'Is this the way home?' That person might say, 'Yes, you go this way.' I say, 'Thank you,' and I go my way. That is a guru….The guru is not one who says, 'I am the guru.'

One of the qualities of a person who is clear, who is wise, is not to need to say 'I am clear, I am wise.' There is no need to say this. The person knows the way and he or she shows the way. It is simple. Humility is one of the qualities of a clear person – there is nothing to prove to anybody."

How curious, I wonder if I could find seeds for shy plants

An oldie but goodie, a quick discourse on comprehensive martial arts

Perhaps more potentially uh-oh

No comments: