body language

I half-realized, half-remembered something while doing my portion of the yoga class last night. That is, when I first started jujitsu way back when, I think we began with a Brazilian armbar from the guard. And my mind was completely boggled. I didn't know what the hell they were trying to get me to do, much less where my own body parts where. I literally couldn't tell where my own thighs or hips were. But, over time, as I gained more control over and awareness of my body, I completely forgot about that. Till I started doing yoga anyway, and realized I was completely blind in reaching over a shoulder to find a foot, and I learned the interesting feeling of my sense of sight actually being de-prioritized for a moment. But then I forgot about that too, as it became unconscious. So yesterday two new gals were in the yoga class, both appearing quite physically fit...but I realized within the first couple movements that they were at exactly where I'd been when I'd started jujitsu. They hardly knew one side of her body from the other, much less how to rotate or connect two different body parts. While the teacher was almost one step ahead of my instruction, I had to quickly think of several ways to re-phrase things for the two girls in question.

I don't say all that to be arrogant and say "look how coordinated I am," of course. Rather, in one sense I think it's a point in favor of one reason yoga and martial arts are so beneficial, in how effectively they put can put one in touch with their body, which helps with all manner of mental and emotional issues, and dealing with illness and injury. And in another sense, it's a reason I want to teach yoga, to spread that learning, especially because I know from where I started that painful confusion of feeling disconnected from my own body.

Desolation Jones seems intriguing

Monaco has an interesting coat of arms

Woo! Go English Springers!

-for the holiday, from Yoga Journal
A More Perfect Union - on relationship issues
Intimacy and Ecstasy - on combining spirituality and sex

No comments: