Glory, I tell you.

So, the sourcing for this little thoughtball comes from a running conversation that's been bouncing around and being refined, between me, my roommates, my family, and even across the country. Finally it got to the outlet that is this forum, which is where ideas such as it is are generally revealed in all their awesome and terrible Glory.

Or, you know, just me spouting off. But I like to imagine the fanfare and dancers, so we're calling it Glory.

Back to the topic of interest. Just as I'm all about principles in yoga and martial arts, I'm also all about principles in general life (which one might argue yoga and martial arts are all about, but that's besides the point). And one of those principles is that one just does not deride, or knock down, or be negative about someone else's dream or passion. Zip. Zero. Nil. It's inviolate. Now, to clarify, we're not talking about, say, the naivetée of the person - if they're a communication major thinking it'll be easy as a DeltaDeltaDelta girl to be famous and make six figures right off the bat, that's just naive. But smacking them upside the head for that is just a different issue. It's one thing to tell a fat person that their dream of being a supermodel inside a month is a tad unrealistic, but it's another to laugh at them for wanting to feel good about their body-image.

And we're talking about that latter part - scoffing at or being condescending about the dream itself. That is just unconscionable, and not something I'll put up with, if I'm involved. If someone loves and cherishes something, say, they're passionate about quilting, or they've always had a dream to be the best tap-dancer in three counties, I don't care how silly it is for someone else, it is not to be touched. That is their hope, a truly positive thing in its nature, and to lay any shadow on it is a dark, dark thing in my mind.

Not to lighten the weight of the point, I'd still like to end with a (slightly paraphrased) point of wit from Mr Kevin:
"Oh, you're an English major, huh? Guess you won't be making any money, heh!"
"Oh, you're a jackass. Guess you won't be making any friends."

2 comments:

Connie said...

Babe, this message is worthy of both fanfare and *belly*dancers.

Jinn said...

score! I *love* bellydancers!