a movie trifecta? well, not really, but sort of

Music and Lyrics, with Drew Barrymore, Hugh Grant, and that woman from Third Rock from the Sun. Well, as we found out, it's Barrymore playing the same girl she always does, and Grant playing the same guy he always does. But who cares, they're doing it together, and it's cute! And there was something strangely alien about the popstar-analogue girly, it was a bit unnerving. Yep, it's fluff, and it's a rom-com, but that's exactly what it's going for, and it pulls it off well. Mmm, cheese. And songs I still can't get out of my head. And the most hilarious opening credits ever. Shanti shanti!

Hannibal Rising, with Gaspard Ulliel and Li Gong. Given as I haven't seen the the other stories of Hannibal, only read about them, I hesitate to say much about this one. So! Fragmented comments. I thought the Japan-trope was a bit contrived and/or gimmicky, but it had its positive points, like the bits with the mask and heads. And Li, even though she's Chinese, but hey. I think Lecter is a very interesting character in being an anti-hero of sorts, even though he's not really, but is he? Hence the interesting. I'll note how we seem to be watching movies with continuing themes of late (here, cannibalism). And the portrayal of the soldiers who are Hannibal's main adversaries was especially interesting in how they changed (or didn't) over time, in the sense of one might wonder at that having happened in a similar manner in real life, in that context.

El Laberinto Del Fauno (Pan's Labyrinth), with Ivana Baquero, Sergi López, and Maribel Verdú. Not exactly what we expected (a lot more time in fantasy-land), we still thought it was a solidly good movie. Just...yeah, all-around good. For anyone who might get the reference, it was kind of a period-piece de Lint story plus gratuitous violence - I'd love to take kids to it, but wow, yeah that's some hardcore shit that goes down. But, in that sense, it stays true to a fairytale having that hyperviolent core, so I can't complain that it's not appropriate. I adore the idea of a child viewing an insect as fae, as soon as I saw that I'm sure my eyes lit up - it just makes so much sense to me, with an insect being such an alien little being (not like a mammal or a pretty songbird, or even a lizard with four legs, though I could easily see a tiny gecko filling a similar role). Oh, also, the faun (never trust 'em!) and the baby-eater were great. An overall sad movie, but done right.
(heard walking out of the theatre)
"Yeaah, that was a good movie and all, but....*whack!* You didn't tell me it was in Spanish!"

I kind of half want this alarm clock, and half dread the thought of it (not to mention the dogsplosion that would occur)

I'm glad somebody reviewed Paul Vunak's dumog instructional, I was actually thinking about getting it myself

No comments: