a (completely disparate) movie trifecta

Children of Men, with Clive Owen and Michael Caine. Quite a ride, this one is. I have to give the first...I don't know, minute or so, mad props - I admire (and used to aspire to in my writing) texts that can set up and lay out the setting so comprehensively, so quickly. And the rest of the movie, as well, they skirted that fine edge of too much/too little ambiguity, and held to the sweet spot. Besides the wonderful cinematography that Wyatt emphasized when recommending the movie, there's a wealth of semantic nets to put together, from Kim's noticing the details each time a dog showed up to the slipping in of Sanskrit chants. Worth seeing again, I think.

Grindhouse, with several of my favorite actors! Yay! I have to say, my face kind of hurt from grinning so much, by the end of both movies. Have to mention the fake trailers, which were hilarious (I liked Machete best). I'm still having trouble deciding, but I think I liked Deathproof better, overall, but that said, I really just liked the second half of each movie more. Zoe Bell is the shiznit. Seriously. And if someone doesn't make a ytmnd out of the "I'm okay!" part, I might learn how to just so I can. This was pure, shallow fun. And completely tangentially, if Escape From New York was originally a grindhouse movie, Wyatt and I were all over that years ago, and besides that, it was pretty damn good for being a grindhouse movie.

Reign Over Me, with Adam Sandler and Don Cheadle. This is how a movie pertaining to 9/11 should be done. Not like that Flight 93 or World Trade Center, bleh. Walking away from the theatre, it was agreed that it would have made a good novel or a good film, equally; it's not paced quickly, but it's not slow, either. There's a range of interesting characters, and character development for that matter, and even (thankfully) a solidly satisfying ending.
-
random quote!
"Someone once told Picasso that he ought to make pictures of things the way they are - objective pictures. When Picasso said he did not understand, the man produced a picture of his wife from his wallet and said, 'There, you see, that's a picture of how she really is.' Picasso looked at it and said, 'She's rather small, isn't she? And flat?'"

1 comment:

Kevin said...

hey 2 dimensional women need loving too!