dogs

I've heard at times variations on the theme of dogs having a Buddha-nature, or the Buddha having ascribed to them as such. And I've thought about it in turn, and yeah, I think that's true in some senses - say, in how they sleep when they're sleepy, they eat when they're hungry, they forgive quickly and adeptly.

But more apparent to me, I think, is the quality of agape that I would say dogs have. That is, that special kind of unconditional love, that by some views is the epitome of aspiration - an almost unattainable aspiration - for mystics of all stripes, Christian and Sufi and yogi. But, for dogs it just seems to come easily, a non-judging, complete love for something (someone) outside of themselves, an adoration that is practically self-sacrificing.

So, to me, that is the 'spiritual' quality that sets the place of dogs in human families and lives.

No comments: