hint: the initials are G and K

Flight of the Eisenstein, by James Swallow. With the Horus Heresy epic consisting of two trilogies with several novels in between, this is the first of those 'in between' books. Focusing more narrowly than the initial trilogy, I'd say Swallow's writing serves the story well in creating a sort of companion novel to the previous book. There are a few Rashomon-perspective scenes in the initial section, and more of an emphasis on the themes of the nature of nascent faith and its opposite number within the setting, chaos and sorcery (and the negative traits that those embody in turn). Though, the action isn't as great, but Swallow really has a massively tough act to follow, so I'll throw that complaint away. And! Something of the origin of the Sisters of Battle, and another interesting origin that is basically obvious only within the last couple pages, so I won't give that one away. So, basically, it's good if one remembers it's a companion novel for the most part to the initial trilogy.

Zodiac, with Jake Gyllenhaal, Robert Downey Jr, and a slew of other random people. Long. Ass. Movie. Mm, well, I take that back, there are longer ones, this one at least held my attention. It's definitely a quality movie, I guess I just found it hard to really like it on account of it inevitably not really ever going anywhere, as the case was never actually solved. I suppose a little more character development of the cartoonist character would have helped me; I didn't even realize he'd gotten married at one point - he just seemed something of a neutral space to carry the story, and the other characters even seemed to comment on his nature in that regard at a couple points.

Nanochondria sound like they would be cool, but I don't think I'd trust 'em

When I read the headline, Squirrels Outwit Rattlesnakes in Infrared, all I could think of was squirrels with little night-vision goggles (and if they can neutralize venom, can we learn to do that, too?)

No comments: