amble is a fun word

Saw, with Leigh Whannell and Cary Elwes. I was pleasantly surprised by this movie. Where I thought it would revel in simple gratuitous helplessness, pain, and gore, it actually glossed through much of that with clever stylizing. Well played! I think that's part of what elevates it above mushbrain movies like I feared it would be, like, say, Hostel. That, and the gradual-yet-driving character development woven together with the plot. Like I said, pleasantly surprised.

Catch and Release, with Jennifer Garner, Kevin Smith, and Timothy Olyphant. Actually, ditto with this one, too. I think the word for this movie is 'ambling.' I'm torn between claiming it as unique and acknowledging some kind of cliche tropes (the best friend obviously secretly in love with the taken girl). Yet, whatever cliche there is, is at least mitigated by placing it in a narrative structure which I would go so far as to say mimics the kind of trout stream that flows in and out of the movie as a setting and trope. If that sentence made any sense.

In researching the ingredients in the 'detox' Yogi Tea, I found creepy eyeball berries

Didn't figure it was actually a technical term

'Poetry is the place where language in its silence is most beautifully articulated. Poetry is the language of silence. If you look at a page of prose, it is crowded with words. If you look at a page of poetry, the slim word shapes are crouched in the empty whiteness of the page. The page is a place of silence where the contour of the word is edged and the expression is heightened in an intimate way. One way to invigorate and renew your language is to expose yourself to poetry. In poetry your language will find cleansing illumination and sensuous renewal.'

No comments: