can you really silence a shotgun?

Hey! Dude with the cow, first payment, awesome.

The Golden Compass, with Dakota Blue Richards, Daniel Craig, and Nicole Kidman. Unfortunately, it's been long enough since I've read the book that I didn't realize the full extent of how far this diverged from the original story. That said, I think the omissions of certain themes probably saved it for some people, who would have arbitrarily dismissed it otherwise. But at what cost? It occurred to me that this is kind of like the Dune movies in relation to those novels, to me - it's going to seem rushed and yet still overly complex (if not just disorderly) in movie form, no matter what you do, because there's such a wealth in each set of novels that it really just can't effectively fit into another format.

No Country for Old Men, with Javier Bardem, Josh Brolin, and several others. In one sense, I like this movie in aspects. The cinematography is amazing, and I love that wide-open terrain, which was done great justice. In terms of acting, there couldn't be better, and the structure of the narrative was lovely. But I think what makes me draw back from it is the sheer, subtle horror of what the characters do and represent - dark things in the hearts of men, it might be put. But oh so human. Hm. Pithy pithy, pithypithy. Heh.

Not quite tai chi-capoeira, but it's kind of close

Fleet Week
= F/A-18 under bridge, almost supersonic

"My belief is that the truth is a truth until you organize it, and then becomes a lie. I don't think that Jesus was teaching Christianity, Jesus was teaching kindness, love, concern, and peace. What I tell people is don't be Christian, be Christ like. Don't be Buddhist, be Buddha like." - Wayne Dyer

2 comments:

Connie said...

Good quote!!! When it becomes organized, it ends up about sustaining the *organization* rather than what it stands for.

Jinn said...

ooo, incisive addendum, well played!