but, how can they top DK for a sequel?

Funny Games, with Tim Roth and Naomi Watts. Interesting in theory...it's the kind of movie, I think, that's a lot better in being talked about, but, I'm not sure it's all that great to sit through to get to that point. That is, it's artsy, in long cuts that have purpose and nice cinematography and great acting. But it's also gratuitously violent....well, but not really, because it never actually directly shows any of the violence, all of it taking place off-frame...just the effects of it in the characters' emotions and psyches. The real highlight of the film, though, is the metafiction and breaking of the fourth wall, which I think had there been more of, it would have elevated the film and made it available to a wider audience - are the boys demons? Travelers from "reality"? Just insane in that extra-insightful way? Just plain insane? See, fun to talk about, not so fun to watch.

The Dark Knight, with the Batman Begins cast, plus the wonderful replacment of Katie Holmes with Maggie Gyllenhaal. Well, it was long, but it never quite felt like it. Ok maybe in a few points where I was kind of going, "Where are they going to go now?" - but note that that's not "Where are they going with this?" Actually, wow, just noticed on imdb the rating's at 9.6...I wonder if that's unprecedented. I was a bit mollified by at least improvement on being able to see what Batman's doing when he's fighting, and twisty plot and characterization and shudder-inducing (and yet, laughter-inducing at inappropriate moments) Joker and acting. Nice.

Investigating Farscape, by Jes Battis. See my review on Amazon in the link when it goes up in a day or two, couldn't help but to respond to a doof.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is "with Naomi Watts and Tim Roth."

Jinn said...

huh, something I'm missing about name ordering?

Anonymous said...

com/noreply@blogger

Connie said...

Hee, read your Amazon comment, go FS nerdyness! I, too, enjoyed Dark Knight, though I have to say that A) I thought Two-face would last longer and B) They never explained why he went to Harvey instead of the girl. I assume that maybe the Joker flipped the addresses, or he changed his mind or something.