systema notes, again: monsoon season

-wow, never occurred to me, but practicing martial arts outdoors with a cool stormy breeze, thunder nearby, and a fiery brilliant sunset is lighting up the palm trees like torches is...well, pretty effing awesome
-still getting used to doing pushups only on fists; my middle knuckles are a little bruised, which I think indicates I need to disperse my weight across more of my fist (which, I realize, is naturally more like a systema punch, than a 'standard' 2-knuckle punch)
-some built up strength in my lower arm structures and connective tissues will be nice, for both the above conditioning and for feeling more confident in that kind of, relaxed-half-fist the systema punches seem to use
-tricky: an extension of the extreme non-telegraphing movement (to the point of not telegraphing even on more subtle levels), to hit without rancor or intent to hurt...say, to punch someone hard enough to basically shut them down or knock them out, but without any negative or harmful intent beyond moving them the way you want...hard to explain, obviously
-interesting sensitivity drill of feeling another's breath/heartbeat, and extended from that, a very subtle point of directing another's attention by touch
-plastic man! man, if we'd had that back in the day....basically just letting another person manipulate you gently as if you were moldable plastic, to figure out how the human body-structure works, where it loses balance, how to make it lose balance, etc...that would have revolutionized all of our prior training in jujitsu and aikido if we had done for 10 or 20 minutes every class
-short work: working with continuously flowing strikes with an opponent at within-arms-length range, the goal being to get them to be shut down right at your feet. for some reason I kept standing my opponent back upright, heh, it was pretty funny, it was like I was helping him back up after knocking him down

No comments: