Serenity, with Jewel Staite as the really attractive woman. And there were other people too. Yay for advance screenings! And friends who win tickets from local alt. rock radio stations! Though, interestingly, we saw an inordinate number of people that we knew. Go figure. I still can't pin a negative or positive opinion down about the movie; I had only ever seen enough Firefly to get a general idea of the setting and who each character was, though that seemed to work fine in terms of understanding the movie, at least. The stilted/altered/embellished language the characters use threw me for a loop at first (I had forgotten it from the television-watching), but I quickly warmed up to it. Though a few lines fell flat, all in all I got a big kick out of it by the end. The martial arts were great quality...at least, I think so, we were sitting on the very end of the second row. I could be mistaken. There was a plot and whatnot as well, but that's mainly the part I can't decide whether I liked or not; maybe I'll go see it again from a better angle and decide then. And also not have one of the lenses of my glasses fall into my eye this time.

      And while clambering through boxes in the warehouse today, I listened to an interesting conversation between two of the receiving guys. Basically, they were talking about science fiction shows, like the kind they show reruns of on Saturday afternoons or late at night. That doesn't sound like much, but I marvelled at the realization that these guys, who I thought were so inescapably macho that they wouldn't go near anything but the basest of Rambo-style action, could take such delight in parsing out the details of setting and character for each of the shows, and if the other guy hadn't seen it, in describing and explaining the same. That all sounds arrogant or pretentious of me to say, I'm sure, but they were like a couple of English majors; of course, they lingered over describing the time the hot actress had to wear a maid's uniform, but honestly, who wouldn't?

No comments: