:P

Get it? It's a tongue, and this is about language? Ahh, so maybe that's a bit of a stretch. Anyway. This is one of those topics that I could write an essay on, but just want to touch on here, and that's the idea of learning the language of something being the most important part of learning it. For example, there's the overt technical terms in everyday yoga and jujitsu class, like the Sanskrit (anjali mudra, savasana) or Japanese (tai sabaki, ki, kote gaeshi), but there's also more subtle jargon that goes almost unnoticed - the inside and outside of one's body, different meanings of the words open, close, forward, and back. In beginning to teach yoga, that's the area I've ironically noted the confusion appearing in - where a martial artist coming to a yoga class is already keyed into the alternative meanings of those words, a completely non-athletic person is suddenly thrown off by trying to apply a more common definition to something it never applies to, in general life.

The reason I thought of this at all was in learning the immense vocabulary of 'financial literacy' as the books I've been reading have advised me to, I've noticed a good few points where just knowing that different 'language' have almost made me shiver, because in driving past businesses I hardly took note of in the past, or looking at my own finances, everything suddenly looks different...not unfamiliar, but different with better understanding. The funny thing is, none of it's really concepts I was unaware of, I already understood most of it. It's the having it within a framework and system of language that's really starting to give me access to this new perspective and world, that's the real key.

From Wyatt, MAKE:blog, a collection of unique and interesting things that were...uh...made

I bet Phryne was totally hott (or, hawt, if you will)

Watch out, might be spoilerific, but would also be good for those trying to catch up...the Battlestar Galactica story so far

No comments: