politics, sort of, and quickquicks

Man of the Year, with several generally comedic people in generally serious roles. But it also generally works. This is the second time I've seen Laura Linney in a movie where her character just...disappointed me, though. I mean, her acting is fine, it's just the coincidence of the kind of character. Back to the movie, I'm still pretty torn, overall. There were a few points which we found just implausible, but all the same something about the main character was horribly plausible in that it was more 'real' somehow than the ending I would have wanted. I say horribly plausible because I think some idealist aspect of me was rebelling against the reality of the situation and the truth of the character, but ah well. I didn't think it was an amazing movie, but it had some interesting things going for it.

Wisdom 3: "You're going to be pushing your bollocks around on a trolley." Also, on the cover, it appears he's just beaten down a dragon with a cricket bat.
Pirates vs Ninjas 2 is funny, but I was really hoping for some extravagant art; ah well, I'll settle for lines like, "Taste Squickie's SEA-MIDGETY WRATH!!!"
Interestingly, GI Joe: Special Missions: Antarctica (which I'd gotten for Wyatt) had its own humorous moments, most image-based, but also: "It's summer! A balmy -30 centigrade. What do you want to do first? See some whales? Pet a penguin?"
The fourth issue of the new Gen13 actually caught me quite off-guard, there's a quite determined subtext going on about modern voyeuristic and youth culture, and even one moment that was sad enough to actually give me pause. It did also have this, though: "Leviticus 1:6 says, 'And she shall lay with the beasts of the field, and then throw them off the tree, then hit them with a big stick and some rocks, too, maybe.'"
The Lost Books of Eve 1:1 is a fun concept, with a quirky style of art, I'm intrigued; like a kid's book, but with a lightly sardonic style of humor -
cherubim: "For starters, you can't go around like that."
Eve: "Like what?" [she's nekky]
cherubim: "You know..."
Eve: [perfectly innocent] "No, I don't know."
X-Men 196 is what I really went to the store for in particular, though. And I completely disagree with a review I read, as much as I normally like clean, clear art, I thought the art in this was perfectly suited to the frenetic, page-turning action going on, and to the dark, dark characters. Damn cliffhangers, though! Badassery-oriented as it was, however, there was still a bit of humor:
Cannonball: "You're not looking so hot, Creed."
Sabretooth: "You shot me out of a damn torpedo tube."
And I relented and bought The Boys 6 before it just becomes impossible to find, but I won't explain the moment that precipitates this moment unless you ask me, because I'd want to see your face:
the Frenchman: "Q'est ce que c'est?"
Wee Hughie: "Oh...EEEEWWWW!"
Mother's Milk: "That's some truly appalling shit."

-wow, there's some interesting symbolism in gravestones, the list is a little ways down

-the coat of arms of Warsaw is awesome

No comments: