American English, America forming, America a-broad, pun intended

Made in America, by Bill Bryson. A generally fun read, but I think I like Mother Tongue more, in the end. This one just went a little bit more into dry, tedious listing than the other, basically, though that's somewhat balanced by it being an interesting way of learning about the history of the United States. Being as it's about the English of the USA. Probably should have explained that first. Anyhoo.

3:10 to Yuma, with Russell Crowe, Christian Bale, and a few other people I recognized but couldn't put names to; and that actor from Firefly. Who dies...again. Sorry Connie! And! And. That guy from The L Word, who I couldn't place, the entire movie. Great western! Why? Because of the characters. Some of the secondary ones were pretty cookie-cutter, but in a way that was kind of necessary, and they made it work. There are some really interesting characters in this movie. And if anybody would like a play-by-play of how I think Crowe's character seduces the barmaid, ask me, once it clicked I wasn't sure if I disliked or respected his snake-charm character more.

Charlie Wilson's War, with Tom Hanks, Julia Roberts, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, and a random surprising amount of attractive women. Witty! And not too preachy or politicized. So, the kind of political movie I could like. The women didn't hurt that. And Julia Roberts isn't in it too much, so don't worry, those who aren't keen on her. In other news, I would like an office staff similar to Wilson's someday. That is all.

I'll admit, I'm a little intrigued by this bed, in a purely practical way

No comments: